Monday, January 30, 2012

Is English the only language in which cancer the disease has the same name as the zodiac sign?

So I mean if you take another language, say French, and take whatever the word is for cancer the disease, is that also their word for zodiac sign?



I'm not expecting it to be the same in every language, but I mean is English the only language where that's the case?Is English the only language in which cancer the disease has the same name as the zodiac sign?
I speak and write fluently french and I can confirm that "cancer" (spelled in french "kah-sair") is both a Zodiac sign and a disease. Sadly, my dad was a cancer and my mod died of cancer, so I should really know...Is English the only language in which cancer the disease has the same name as the zodiac sign?
Cancer literally means "crab", and the disease is so named because of the appearance of the tumors, which invade neighboring tissues with little tendrils of tumor, which vaguely look like the legs of a crab. The disease and the zodiac sign are both the same in all the Romance languages. In Slavic languages, the word for the disease, the zodiac sign, and the animal (crab) are all the same, "rak".Is English the only language in which cancer the disease has the same name as the zodiac sign?
Nope. I know Arabic and French is the same case.

Edit: cancer in French is both the disease and the zodiac. Cancer in Arabic is Saratan and it's both the disease and the zodiac.
Their different in chinese and japanese.
  • edelbrock
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment